The idea of change is a terrifying topic for many people. I believe it stems from a fear of the unknown. They might be unsure of where they will end up if they give change a try and so they never give it a shot.
Incremental change, however, can be a doorway to the beautiful dreams you have for yourself and your future. Incremental change makes the journey of change itself easier and more accessible to even the most timid dreamers.
Wondering what the difference is? While change is scary – incremental change allows us to move stage by stage and see our progress unfolding in front of us. It helps us to set a PLAN and then set goals and actions that will get us from A to B to complete that plan. Having a plan means the difference between here and there, today and your dreams.
Who needs plans you may ask? Well, according to a study conducted on the sudents of the Harvard MBA Program..anyone with a dream needs a plan!
An excerpt from one of my favourite business blogs by Simon Chan:
“Most people fail in life because they fail to plan. They have no daily goals… they have no daily plan… and thus, they have no goal nor plan for their life. Life just comes and goes and they end up going nowhere in life. The saddest thing is that most people spend more time planning their vacations than they do for their lives!
In the excellent book, What They Don’t Teach you at Harvard Business School by Mark McCormack, it talks about a study conducted on students in the 1979 Harvard MBA program. In that year, the graduating students were asked in a survey, “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?”
Here were the results:
- 3% had clear written goals and plans
- 13% had goals but were not written down
- 84% had no specific goals at all
10 years later, these same former students were interviewed again and here were the astonishing results:
- the 13% that had goals were earning earning TWICE as much as the 84% that did not have goals
- the 3% that had clear written goals and plans were earning 10 TIMES as the rest of the 97% COMBINED!!! ”
Well, there you have it, CHANGE when turned into goals, plans and action (also sometimes disguised as incremental change) is not so scary at all. In fact, it’s the surest way to find your dreams!
In health and wealth,